Saturday, September 10, 2022

Over the River & Thru the Woods to Grandmother's House We Go

My Grandmother 

When I was young, we lived very close to my grandmother's house.  My grandmother was a product of the last quarter of the 19th-century in the mid-west.  Each day my mother would take my hand & we would walk to visit her. The path led through the woods & across a little stream, where wildflowers grew. It was beautiful. I cannot remember a day that my grandmother was not baking or sewing. She always wore her hair up on the back of her head, and her eyes sparkled just like my mother's. Her house smelled delicious. These paintings remind me of those visits, even of the wonderful scents of both the woods & of her house with its big windows gently covered with lace curtains.

Julius Garibaldi "Gari" Melchers (1860-1932) Lady Reading

Julius Garibaldi "Gari" Melchers (1860-1932) Young Woman Sewing

Julius Garibaldi "Gari" Melchers (1860-1932) Woman Sewing